Home Back Next
1991 - 1992
Commander: Robert Zaher
Senior Vice Commander: Dan Anderson
Junior Vice Commander: Ernest Audet
Membership at the end of the 1991 calendar year: 187, including 75 Life Members
- Department Commander Luther Harmon presented the Post a Letter of Appreciation “for support to the during his visit to the Philippines.”
- After temporary minor repairs from, water and lahar damage, the Post Canteen was reopened approx 1 July, serving cold beer and hot dogs.
- On 3 July, Commander Robert Zaher hosted a Post Social to decide the future of the Post Home. At this meeting Senior Vice Commander Dan Anderson (CMSGT in CE) performed a complete inspection of the Post Home and declared it safe and repairable. A vote to continue the Post was approved. Commander Zaher, through his Athletic Director role on Clark, had a maintenance crew dispatched to repair the lahar damage. These repairs included new door and lock, window screens, ceiling and entranceway.
- In July, the Post participated in the First Annual Chili Cook-Off in La Union, winning the First Runner-Up Award. This event is sponsored by Post 9892.
- The Post designated as National VFW All American Post.
- The Post achieved status as a National Streamer Post.
- Commander Robert Zaher presented a red/white/blue VFW hat as recognition of Post being designated All American.
- The Post received a Commendation from La Societe des 40 Hommes et 8 Chevaux “for programs and activities dedicated to God and Country”.
- The Post received National VFW Membership Award for exceeding 100% membership.
- On 18 September, the Clark Chief’s Group presented the Post will a plaque “for outstanding support to the military community.”
- Past Commander Joseph Carsley elected Commander, District One.
- Past Commander Eugene Hermann attended the Veterans Day Ceremony at the Camp O’Donnell Monument.
- In meeting with the Clark Air Base Wing Commander, Commander Robert Zaher assured him that the American Flag at the Clark Cemetery would be maintained as long as the Post was here.
- On 11 November, the Post hosted Veterans Day Observation at the Clark Cemetery, which was followed by a picnic at the Post Home.
- Commander Zaher obtained all burial records available of the Clark Cemetery and all burial flags.
- Clark Air Base closed on 24 November 1991.
- A U.S. flag flown over Clark Air Base, on the last day it was an American Base, was presented to the Post by Commander Robert Zaher.
- In December, the Post hosted a Christmas Party for children at the Pearl Buck Foundation Home in Angeles City. This was the first time the Post had hosted the Christmas Party. While the base was open the party was hosted by the Clark Chief Master Sergeants Group.
- The Post designated as National VFW All American Post and Commander Robert Zaher designated at All American Post Commander.
- The Post coordinated the first Memorial Day Ceremony at the Clark Cemetery, after the closing of Clark Air Base. The ceremony was followed by a picnic at the Post Home.
- In June, Post members attended the Second Annual Chili Cook-Off and Miss Chili Pepper Contest at La Union. This event is sponsored by Post 9892.
- Sixteen operations were performed by the Children’s Operation Fund.